« What It Takes to be Fast After 50 | Main | ADS Prescription Sports Sunglasses »

02/14/2015

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

JP

Joe, I recently read matt fitzgerald's book 80/20 running, In which he cites many studies conducted on recreational and elite athletes that show the optimal intensity distribution for any given sport, cycling, running ect... should be 80 % below your ventilatory threand 20 % above it for the year. and this number would be slightly adjusted depending on sport. ex. Road cycling may be 70/30 due to need for more high intensity work. What do you think of this idea? and in a periodised program im assuming you base would be around 90/10 and build would be around 50/50? to even it out to that 70/30 (im a road cyclist)? what is the yearly intensity distribution for your road cyclist athletes? on average.

JP

Ventilatory threshold*

Joe Friel

JP--There are two ventilatory thresholds. VT1 occurs at about aerobic threshold which is roughly 30bpm below the lactate threshold. That is about VT2. The research shows that most elite athletes training volume is around 80% below VT1 with a big portion of the remainder above VT2. I've written about this many times here in this blog. Just search "polarized" for the posts. How much above VT2 of the remaining 20% depends on the event for which one is training. You asked about distribution for cycling. There again it depends on the event--a 45 min crit or a 3 week stage race. Big difference in distribution of that remaining 20%.

Bert Deruyck

What if I have a 3h run scheduled where I know I'll go above 36k. Should I stop at 30/32 to speed up recuperation or go for the full duration?
I'm training for Challenge Roth using your book 'Your best triathlon'.

Joe Friel

Bert Deruyck - Train for duration, not distance.

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been saved. Comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by the author. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...

Post a comment

Comments are moderated, and will not appear until the author has approved them.

Your Information

(Name is required. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)

Joe Friel's Sponsors

Blue Competition Cycles
"Specialized Bikes is my newest sponsor. I’ve been impressed with their bikes for a long time so I tried one. Had to have it. What a great ride!"

D2 Shoes
"I've been riding in custom D2 Shoes for 8 years. I'm on my third pair. The first two pairs are still going strong. And, yes, they put my cleats midsole."

ADS Sports Eyewear
"ADS Sports Eyewear makes all of my glasses for casualwear, reading, cycling, golf and more. Hundreds of models from all the major manufacturers."

Loading

July 2017

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
            1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31          

Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner